Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gratitude in Another Latitude

Hello All!
Today I attempted a job that demanded the strength of an ox, the balance of a ballerina, and the perfection of a pilot. This job has no room for mistakes. What did I do today for a job? Today, I was a waitress. We had a party of thirty-one people eating a five-course meal which lasted six hours. I could try to describe this experience not so dramatically, but then it wouldn’t be accurate. This time was a dance between me, the guests, the workers in the kitchen, and the six inch space I had to move between the oversized woman and the Christmas tree. I wish I could say that after the first course I served my hands didn’t shake, and my voice didn’t quiver. But every meal had a new set of precariously stacked dishes. All in all I only dropped a sauce spoon on one woman’s Tommy Hilfiger shirt, it could’ve been worse. But what can I say, I was under pressure to clean after the second course to bring out the third course before it was cold. Now I know that I can’t balance four plates in my left hand (some with food some without – which makes it harder) and carry a small plate with a gravy boat teetering on it. Thankfully, the room was loud enough that not everybody stopped to stare at me. This would be terrorizing enough not to mention that I didn’t know the necessary German waitressing phrases such as:
‘I’m sorry I spilled mushroom sauce on your sixty dollar shirt’
‘Can you move your chair in, I’m not that skinny’
Or the more frequent ‘Excuse me, I dropped the fork under your chair’.
I could never work in a restaurant, I can’t handle the stress of timing in the kitchen and then smile and serve food. The thought occurred while I was trying to pick up a spoon with my pinkie (all the other fingers had a plate in between them) that I should boycott restaurants for a while.  If you ever were, or presently are a waiter or waitress, you have my full admiration. You are unbelievably patient and hard working. You have the sense of balance as a leopard and the grace of a swan, truly, it is yet a wonder for me.
Last weekend I met with the four other AFS students in my chapter. We played games, baked traditional German cookies, and talked about our own countries. One young man was from Brazil, two young ladies from Italy, and another young lady from China. We socialized through the night until lunch the next day. We were all sitting at the table waiting for the last person to arrive to start the meal. Once we were all present there was a pause, where one would normally, in times of old, begin a prayer. I was silent waiting to see if anyone from their country, from their belief, would pray before they ate, no one did. Instead someone said ‘Bon Appetite’ and everyone picked up their forks to start eating, glad the pause was over. Before they had their first bite I asked if we could all hold hands while I prayed for our food. I thanked God for this new company, I thanked him for the food and the memories He blessed us all with. It was a short prayer but something significant happened. I told them that I pray every time before I eat because I am thankful every time I eat. Not only that, but also to cleanse the food from any possible sickness it could have given us. More than anything, as the only voice from  America there, I wanted them to know that we are still a God fearing and God loving people.
This is a picture from the border between the East and West side of Germany. It could be viewed from the house of the woman who hosted all of us AFS students for the weekend. She wanted to show us what is left of the border towers, this one was kept as a memorial. Many people died trying on the same ground that I stood on to reach the West. Because she was so close to the border she was never allowed to have family or friends visit her, and every day after school she would have to confirm with the soldiers that she lived where she lived, and only then would they open the gate for her. She was always under suspicion. I can’t imagine this as my childhood. She showed me the picture of the American troops in 1989 building a bridge between the East and the West so she could reach her family. I am incredibly grateful for the freedom we have in America, how we were born and still are a free nation. Many young people in my school, though they live in a democracy, wish that Germany was a communist nation. After a month of attending school I am no longer suprised to see students proudly wear communist attire.
It takes a while for my mind to truly think over and accept what my eyes have seen. Whether it be as strong as a border tower, or as subtle as a communist t-shirt. Both are a bit incomprehensible. With the wisdom I received from last week, to slow down and live in the moment, I can begin to understand the history of the land that I live on right now. Have you, personally you, ever considered the rarity of democracy? Did you know that only twenty-one exist in the present world? I am in awe, and continue to be everyday as I witness God's grace. This experience is unfolding into a rose with everyday that passes by.

1 comment:

  1. Such intensity to comprehend may take a lifetime but will surely make you a citizen of the world who is sensitive to the masses. I am certain you have been changed forever to take nothing for granted. The gift of sensitivity will serve you well as you seek to help this world. I am blessed to know you and have you in my life, especially as my daugher….and i know this will make u grateful…your Starbucks should be there tomorrow! Love…..Mom

    ReplyDelete

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...