Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fire Through the Frost

I can trace the paths of my town on my hands; they feel as much a part of me as the veins that run through each of my fingers. I know the slant of each house and the birds’ song on a Sunday morning. The trees stand frozen in a half bent sway, creaking with every breeze. The energy of my surroundings have changed.
Frozen apples clinging to branches of tree
Though nature sleeps with her frost blanket, my energy to move has been kindling into a fire. Tuesday was a bone chilling day, every gust of wind brought the Siberian Cold closer. (The Siberian Cold is a ‘cold front’ that occurs in North Germany (Click for informational link). I laced my sneakers in a haste after coming home from school and set out for a jog. The sun was absent and the gray horizon blurred together with the crisp white fields. I don’t need music to run, I know the different sound of trees on each path and their movements are my soundtrack. Each step crunched the frosted leaves, sticks, and stones below me which was loud enough to frighten the deer in my path ahead. My breath was a cloud of cold and my heart beat raced. I ran a steady tempo until I reached the top of the hill where I could see over my village.
This is a colored picture of the horizon.

To most people being completely alone in the wilderness would qualify as quiet. But to me the trees swing and the leaves clap their hands to praise the Almighty God.  They stretch their finger and point to the sky, they point to the one true God. The wind hummed and rattled light leaves by my feet. I can never forget that moment of connecting with nature. I can look at a tree and know that we were both crafted by the same Craftsman. Like a unique fingerprint I see their different bark and twist in their roots or branches. The millions of leaves I see have different textures, patterns, and veins. Each frost crystal has a separate molecular composition. It is so easy to give God the praise that is due. Through several instances last week I was struck with the awareness of His awesomeness. Whether I am running through the woods, pondering the countless idiosyncrasies of people, or sitting still on the sofa and hearing my heart beat I can never fathom His depths. His love, mercy, and thoughts about us are without number. His wisdom is infinite. Day after day does He reveal His glory a little bit more to me but I never stop being in awe.

Cement fence that borders a small area of a farm across from my street
 I am surrounded by a different tongue, a language that is not familiar to me. The process to becoming a barrier breaker is slow, but it amazes me still every day that people communicate any way other than English. As ignorant as that sounds, one cannot understand until they are plucked from their life and placed into another culture. One cannot understand until they are every hour of the day surrounded by noises that are unfamiliar to their ears. Though each nation has their own tongue, the praise of nature to the One True God is universal. I looked in the mirror today and almost didn’t recognize myself. This experience has showed me so many things and brought many issues of character to the surface.
Waiting for the school bus during the ten minute window of sunshine

Dramatizing experiences shake us, and if we allow them to they rattle things loose and show us show us what is constant. The only way that I could have ever come through this transition is by constant praise and worship. Being here on somedays, is not easy but I could not imagine being anywhere else. Every day is filled with jewels of wisdom.  I ask that you look for the jewels in your life, and ask for a refreshed perspective of praise because it is our honor and duty, no matter where we are in the world.
Blessings, Genevieve

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing us how to test our limits and reap the benefit of an abundant life. We all watch as you display your courage through your faith and the impact you have on others by doing so. You are a beacon of light to many who follow and learn by you that how no matter where you are, it is God in our life that makes the difference. God Bless you royally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very beautiful just like the young woman who wrote it. (p.s. I don't know how to comment unless I choose "anonymous" must be an age/techno thing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about nature praising God - a testimony to all nations and tongues. Looks like you're having more of a winter than we are. Keep being overwhelmed by his awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...