Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sun and Shield

Hi Readers!!
Woof. Our neighbor got a new dog!

Passing by blooming flowers.
I was a little confused how the flowers are so beautiful...
but there's no grass?
Last Wednesday was the last day of school for our seniors. On the ride to school I noticed how gitty all the little kids on the bus were. As we pulled into the school parking lot I saw why. Each senior was lined up with hair spray paint where the buses dropped us off. We were sitting ducks. I guess on their last day they’re allowed to spray us with waterguns, colored hair spray, and write on our faces with lipstick. Everyone got marked, there was no escaping it. One senior was at every entrance of the school. Luckily, my friend Nadine wrote on my first to spare me from others who drew inappropriate things. German High School Seniors don’t write SAT’s or ACT’s, they write a six hour test for the main subjects and two by choice. Every student graduates from High School, but your allowance into college relies very heavily on the results from the Abitur.
After the first hour. Then came the onion spray bottles.
So not funny.
People I never talked to sprayed me with musty perfume, wrote on my forehead, and sprayed me with onion water. A couple students were drinking. They came into our first class, the teacher left and they threw candy. After the first half hour, I got annoyed and would only respond in English. No more for Genevieve. Through the terror we heard a voice over the intercom that told us to go outside. We reluctantly sauntered out the door where we were sprayed again. The teachers were put in a ‘cage’ (fenced area) and were only allowed to get out when they won a game against another teacher. Here is a picture of them playing ‘Spit the Cherry into the Bucket’. The principal played too, but most teachers were coincidentally ‘sick’ that day.
I was really suprised the Princpal participated,
afterwards there was a dress up contest.
I never thought I would see my economy teacher,
with a pink poodle umbrella in a tutu. Oje.
The day after, I joined the American Exchange students in their tour of Boizenburg. I have lived here for six months, and have never been to the top of the church or knew that the history stretches back to 1100 A.C.. I am tempted to get a tour of New England when I get back. It’s funny how we conduct our daily life, without every being aware of our surroundings. Afterwards, we visited the local Elementary School. We played games with the first and second graders, sang songs, and gave out American Peppermints. They looked at us like rockstars. And did I mention they could only speak in English because the Ami’s didn’t know a lick of German? Although the topics of conversation were limited to color/relatives/name/age I was thoroughly impressed. We also met with the town Mayor who gave us goodie packets. Each packet had a handmade tile that was the main good that was produced in our town, and some candies from a local candy factory.
At the top of the Boizenburg church,
that's our little village!!
Here's one for you mom. Super old door in the church!!
With the kids! They were so fantastic. I'll add more later in the week.
A lot has been on my mind lately. God prompted me in November to memorize one Bible verse every week. Last week’s verse was Psalm 84:11. For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly. After memorizing this verse, I have encountered many situations where I needed the strength from these words. I would recommend verse memorization with the help of Jesus, to have Him confirm it in your Spirit. I don’t have much time to write, because 1) The Bavarian soccer team is playing and 2) I have to memorize a poem called Osterspaziergang, which means An Easter Walk. Oh and real quick, I got a bunny, he is all gray!
At the bottom of the VERY NARROW stairs,
leading up to the church bells.
God Bless, Until next week!!

P.S. I made the cookies with my host sister. First time EVER eating chocolate chip cookies.

2 comments:

  1. how brave u were to go to school that day…especially since you really are a senior in the US. So really you should of been on the other end of the stick. Makes me wonder what you would have done then. Had u thought of that? Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like hiding Gods Word in our hearts. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...