Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Stolen Vine

Hello Readers!!
No one wishes that each tree was identitcal from another.
We have learned to see the beauty in every form of nature,
so why can't we recognize the uniqueness of ourselves and our brethren?
Today is my 38th blog, which is no special number in itself, but is somehow commemorable because it means I have successfully written for 38 weeks. In more than one way, this blog has helped my exchange experience. 1) It is something that I can count on every week, something that gives me consistency 2) teaches me self-discipline 3) slows the time down a little bit by allowing myself to reflect, rather than get caught up in the flow and 4) share my experience with others. Even now, I look back to entries in December and January and see how much I have learned since then, both linguistically and character wise too. As I was cleaning my computer desktop, I found a document. It was the second day I was situated with my year long host family. Here is a quote of mine from October:

‘When I was told that the exchange experience was going to be difficult, I never took into consideration just how hard it would be. What I realize now, and realize every moment, I’m at a loss of words (because I literally don’t know the German word) is that my communication abilities are about the same as a German toddler. That in itself is a blow to one's ego and willingness to engage in conversation. But that doesn’t stop me, I figure as an exchange student, or as a beginner in anything in life mistakes are always going to be made. They’re inevitable. I would rather make mistakes and make friends then sit quietly alone, but that’s just me. In my Gymnasium (school) there are two other exchange students, one from Italy and the other from Slovakia. So, because I have chosen to switch entirely to the German language (except now as I’m writing this article) I’m in an even more uncomfortable position. Not only is my German awful, so is my English. This transition is not for the weak, every morning you have to make up your mind and come to terms that at some point you will fall on your face.’
WOW my english is bad.
Ahoy! Looking out from a hunters cabin.
These little 'tree houses' are everywhere.
Bellies up! (sorry if that picture grosses out,
I like bugs.)
Let's take a picture with another perspective!
At the end of this article that I wrote for my German teacher, was a small text I had written in German. I laughed with my sister together when I realized how AWEFUL my grammar was. I don’t understand how they could hold a conversation with me! But, as I realized with putting in effort on a constant level, whether its writing a blog once a week or continuing to learn new words, effort always pays off. I can honestly say, that when I look back on this year, I don’t have one regret or wish that my German was any better. As this school year is coming to a close, I have begun to think of the year ahead. In order to receive credit from my high school, I need a ‘pass’ or ‘fail’ grade from my teachers. I talked briefly with my class teacher today, and she said that I would get an A+ in all of my classes effort wise. But unfortunately, if my tests were to be graded it would have to be on the same exact standard as my native speaking German friends! I can understand ‘normal’ German, but when we start talking about the world economy and politics, I need to hear everything in sssssslllllllooooooowwwwww motion. I can read the newspaper, books, and understand advertisements. Everyday has  a small victory within it. Which is how I want to live spiritually too, victoriously.
Sitting on the forest ledge,
it felt like the edge of the world!

I signed up for a daily email from the www.biblegateway.com, its called Girlfriends in God. It seems God is revealing to her the same things He is to me. She is talking about the sly devices of the enemy. ‘He can make you believe something is not true when it is and make you believe something is true when it isn't. He speaks in your own voice. The thoughts feel like you, because they are the old you that he has memorized so well. He's not very creative, but he is very effective and he uses the same methods with us he's used since the beginning of time.’ There is a verse in Song of Solomon 2:15 ‘The little foxes that spoil the vines’. Spoil means to rob. I have never thought about foxes too much. I know that there are brown ones and red ones, and that they’re cute in the movie Fox and the Hound but I never considered them more than a part of the animal kingdom. Until today, one fox killed thirteen of our chickens. I woke up this morning to a bed of feathers strung across our back yard. As my host Mom walked by, she said ‘we’re putting on the electric fence tonight’. So she did. But the next night the fox found a hole the size of a clementine, and killed ten more. The problem was, the chickens couldn’t fit through the opening in which he came, so they were all left half dead when we woke up. This makes me now think about foxes, and how they spoil.  
I like to ride my bicycle
through trees of young green,
and valleys sleeping under a yellow blanket.



If any reader is really punctual, and is reading this on Tuesday...don't worry I will have the concluding paragraph tomorrow.

Happy mothers day in advance!
I love you Mom.
God Bless, Genevieve






2 comments:

  1. I too am continually amazed how God can touch our spirit in the same way as another and unite us by doing so. You are that special! Love Mom
    I must say it was wonderful having you with us on Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think this blog helped you learn a great deal. You have had some wonderful insights, including the danger of those spoiling little foxes.

    ReplyDelete

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...