Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Pig That Showed Me A Pearl

As I was on my walk last week I found this.

I asked my host parents what animal it could be, possibly wild boar they said. The population of the Wild Boar has increased three-hundred and twenty percent in the last year. They charge up to thirty miles an hour. In order to keep the population stable last year German hunters had to kill over half a million hogs ( click here to read article). In my USA town taking a casual hike does not put one at risk for being trampled by a territorial mama boar. I take the same walking route every day here, it seems perfect in its beauty. But I felt moved to walk another path one day after reading a fellow CBYXers blog: http://brentgaynor.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/prelude-not-going-home-tommorow/
This is his most recent post after I sent him a message on Facebook telling him how wonderfully he writes. It was a laugh when I needed one and for that I was grateful. I encourage you (my readers!!) to support him too or to simply chuckle. Anyways, for my morning walk I took a right instead of going straight. What I found was a view overlooking my normal path, and a bridge that stretches over the railway. Glistening flooded fields with patches of surfaced electric green grass was on my right, two railroad tracks beneath the bridge I was standing on, and the way home on the left. Aside from the faint sound of people’s casual Sunday drive, it was silent. I treasured this moment, using it as a time to sit and be in awe.  
<>  <> 
The Dersenow Firestation

The same day I saw a wild boar. Later that afternoon I decided to take again  a different path marked ‘Nature Walk’. I got to see my towns’ fire station and homes of residents I didn’t know where present. Because it was mid-day I could walk on the center of the wet cobblestone road without having to step to the side for a passing car. Did I also mention that I walk in the middle of the street to avoid guard dogs? German fences are cute but barely tall enough to keep a full grown German Shepard or a Rottweiler from hopping the fence and sharing his bad day with you.

My heart pounded with adrenaline, one big dog and small fence after another. Finally, I reached the end of the road and the beginning of the looming forest. I pressed on now in a light jog to be safe from the barking of these savage dogs and to find shelter from the rain. ‘But was this really the safer option?’ I asked myself.


Inch deep in mud, I mucked through the path thinking I should buy a rain jacket that isn’t white. The trees were slim and winding (not wind-ding mom) like the body of a snake, dripping with rain that made their trunks black. Moss covered the forest floor and wound around colossal fallen stumps that laid half swallowed by the earth. The wind slinked through the top of the trees, creating the sound of the ocean with frozen leaves. I am an explorer, but I am also not naïve to walk through an isolated forest alone. I considered turning back to ask my neighbor if I could borrow her ferocious dog for company. But my heart beat was heavy thinking to cross through the street once again, so I continued on my way. Now, with all of my senses heightened by the lack of visibility to see through thousands of bending trees, I felt paranoid thoughts creep into my mind. Then under the black shadow of a bush I saw the flash of a small white body of a four legged animal scurrying through the leaves. I ran back the way I came. Think Snow White running through the haunted woods.
I was standing when I took this picture!

Both disappointed that my neighborhood forest was infested with wild boars and the fact that I ran like a baby I stood at the crossroad. Defeated. But there was another path that I didn’t see, I began walking. Purposed that my adventure would not end. Ten seconds later I was greeted by a family taking a stroll with their white dog that was exactly the size of the wild boar I had just seen. The dog was running without a leash, weaving through the trees parallel to the family. As we passed one another they probably thought I was crazy for laughing hysterically to myself, to think how scared I was! I did not see a boar, but instead a loving  pet. How deceiving! Don’t live by what you feel!  Now safe, really and actually safe, I fell deep into thought. Have I ever attempted something in my life, and because I saw the flash of intimidation or failure I ran back to what I know? How many experiences have I let pass me because I was afraid of what was in the shadow?
I searched my Bible. The one and only thing I should fear is the Lord Himself. I will remember my heartbeat and the fear I felt when I speak with people who do not know what to fear, and in turn fear everything. God’s Forest is a refuge, free from all worldly fear which I can appreciate in a new light now that I have experienced a type of fear that grips your heart.
These pictures were taken today after going for a walk with Chiara, it was about five hundred percent less terrorizing. This time I decided to ask for my neighbor’s dog to take with us. Instead of getting the large German Shepard I had hoped for, she gave me a smaller chubby Chihuahua sized dog on a pink leash. Nevertheless, I did not meet with any boars. But I was almost chased by the Rottweiler. Chiara and I were casually walking down the street  when we suddenly  heard the rapid approach of four massive dog feet meeting the pavement.  With every step it lunged towards against the gate. We ran as fast as we could screaming. I tripped and Chiara fell over laughing. The dog had stopped barking, but we were both crying for the humor. As I write this now my giggle is turning to a wince. I can’t imagine ever having a dog charge me without having a fence between us. To any reader who has suffered such an attack, you have as much sympathy as I can possibly offer. At the end of the street we looked up and saw this.

Here you can also faintly see a typical German house. None of them are made from wood or whatever our houses are made of in the USA. These houses are most likely hand stacked brick dating back to the 1700’s or cement, two choices. Which makes me think, choices. Every day it seems there are a million choices to be made, and a million things to avoid that are trying to choose me. I choose joy, I don’t let mood based weather choose me. It rains here every week, it is overcast six days from seven. If I had let the weather affect my mood, I would not have the motivation to write this blog. So I’m thankful I don’t have to live based on emotions. When one chooses the thought process, not to simply ‘be happy’, but to find joy in God...I promise that you will shine so much that you won’t need the sun. In addition, don't ever underestimate saying something good with the same fervency as bringing a problem to attention. You would be suprised what a small compliment can do to someones day.
Let me know what you guys think about the article, these hogs don’t live only in Germany!
Blessings, Genevieve

6 comments:

  1. Genevieve this is beautiful!!! I love the sunset picture :D I would be worried about the hogs too. So I would have done the same thing as you. Good to know that you continue to explore the woods. I can't wait to read more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely can relate to being controlled by emotions. I haven't been wanting to go to the working experience because of those strong emotions and the negative thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dog the gave you to protect you, the leash probably would provide more protection lol. As always beautiful pictures. I laughed so hard thinking about the snow white forrest, the trees extending their arms and grabbing your hair...not to scare you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hogs, dogs, or turkeys it might be
    i know that I should
    go for a walk in my nay ba hood
    only to find what scares me, is me !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Choose to be Happy! Awesome, Genevieve. Glad you're enjoying yourself. What a GREAT experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics and insights as usual! Fear is a powerful force that God's love helps us to overcome.

    ReplyDelete

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...