Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's Going to Take Time


View from my window.
Hello Readers! Long time no see.
Grab a cup of coffee, this blog is going to be long. This last Tuesday I was in Berlin, which is why I didn't get to write. This week and a half was jam packed full so sit down, and enjoy it with me! The blog has pictures and an explanation will be given beneath or above.



Okay, here's a picture with a story. But first to clarify, that's my Class Teacher Frau Ortmann. Frau means Mrs. in German, so Mrs.Ortmann. Starting from the fifth grade I believe, each grade is seperated into three groups. Each group has  a 'Homeroom Teacher' that they can go to for problems or help until the year they graduate. When they go on field trips, the 'Class Teacher' is responsible for the students and the students know they always have someone in the school to talk with. I like that about the German school system. Another point, in the German school, you always have your main classes German, English, Math, and History with the same people. This creates a group of kids that you hang out with and can also count on. It's different than in the US where every class has different students.

Now the story, first you may be asking yourself why my school has banners hanging with grafitti and a band setup in the background. Every year the Senior Class has to organize workshops or an event that would inforce their 'A School of Courage, Against Racisim' motto. This year they had multiple people from the German Parliament and other social help orginizations. Students could sign up for the workshop they wanted to attend such as 'Can Israel be Cool?' or watch a play and have a discussion afterwards. It's one of the biggest days for seniors, except for their exams. This was on a Thursday. On Monday, Nadine, one of my friends in the senior class called me to ask if I could do her a favor and show a little presentation about the USA. I gladly agreed. Wednesday rolled around and as we were sitting on the bus she asked me if my project was done. I looked at her a little confused and titled my head back to look at her with suspicous eyes.
 'Done?' I said. 'I have until next week..?'.
'Nope, this Thursday.' she said as she waved and I got off at my bus stop.

I have done four or five presentations since I've been here and I do it gladly. I will normally bake something so my audience has something to munch on. So I looked up a turtle brownie recipe and began to melt the caramel. It took me three or four hours to sift through pictures in Facebook so I could show my home highschool. I made a twenty slide Powerpoint about my school, church, family, and me then picked out some slightly dressy clothes and went to bed. I was running kind of slow the next morning, my eyes were strained from staring at the computer screen so long the day before. My sister ran past my room to catch the bus and I grabbed a pair of shoes. As I got to school, I thanked God I grabbed heels. The front of the school was hung with banners and there were parking people directing the traffic of parents and people from our town. Before I could even get to the door, Nadine ran to my side and asked if I had everything ready. She brought me to a room to drop my backpack off, and then we flew up the four staircases to room 410 where my students were waiting. I opened the door. Forty-five seventh graders were all seated and staring at me. Simply by being looked at with ninety eyeballs I turned lobster red. I laughed and asked her if I was being punked.
'No you're not being punked. They are going to be split into three groups, three of fifteen. You will have one group for one hour and fifteen minutes then the next group will come. Try to be done around noon.'
I looked at my watch, 7:40. I still had to print something. I wouldn't say I was stressed, but as I walked through the hallways to the printing room, people were running by me. Running up the stairs, down the stairs, out the door, back inside, dropping boxes off and picking them back up. The franticness (is that a word?) began to rub off on me as Nadine found me and rushed me back to the room where my students were waiting. The first two groups went by really quickly, the kids were intrigued and asked questions. Did I mention I'm a ham? The last group was a little restless, but what can you expect after three hours of hearing different presentations?

It was noon and I had a headache. I opened the door and went into the foyer where music was litterally BLASTING. Think NFL Superbowl. I shut the door and pressed my fingers to my forehead. I took a deep breath, went out and found a place next to my friends. I kind of fell asleep with my eyes open while the hour long 'thank you' speech was given. I was almost in La-La land until I heard my name called. Lobster red again. The school and guests turned to where I was sitting on the balcony. I looked to the stage where my senior friend Jesse was holding flowers. I quickly ran downstairs and onto the stage, smiled, and waved while the audience clapped. They called out the next group. Flowers! As horrifying as the day was at first, I now had flowers. (See picture below.) The day was simple insanity, but I have learned not to let the situation affect my calmness. Praise God. 


In front of my school with flowers and my history teacher,
 Frau Obermeit.




The day after was Friday, Ivan's 18th birthday. We celebrated at his host moms house. He is from Colombia and is also going to our highschool. It was a suprise birthday which is why you can see me saying 'shhhh!'. I made him a brownie cake and wrote 'Happy Birthday Ivan!' on the top. From left to right; Tatiana from South America, Chiara, Me, Claudia, then an exchange student from Turkey (can't spell his name!) a host mom with her child, and way to the right is Paco (his nickname) also from South America. It was really, really hard to keep us all quiet!

We celebrated into the night with snacks, music, and pizza. While everyone was dancing I looked for someone to converse with. He was the boyfriend of my friend Kerstin, and he had just gotten back from Africa. I was fully intrigued, and he was fully passionate to answer all of my questions. The part in Africa that he went to was very poor. He expected that the family dynamics would be stronger than in Germany. He figured when they didn't have money, they would realize that family is more important quicker. But that wasn't the reality, the people would rather have a cellphone than shoes. He was the only white person in the village, and was asked everyday for money from the people. He said 'Their concept of money is totally different than ours. Because I was white they asked me for it, without thinking that they would have to work. It was all about the money for them.' Here is a picture of all of us at the dinner table. The conversation left me with a lot to think about. But I never had time to really think, because on Monday I was leaving for the class trip to Berlin.


Berlin was intense. The history is dark and I dare to say that the reality is sometimes too. The wall was built in 1961 and stayed for twenty-eight years until 1989. We had a city tour and also a tour of the Secret Police Jail center. Our tour guide was an inmate for eight days, he greeted us by saying that 'The freedom and liberty that you have now was given to you, it is a gift. My generation fought, and many died for it.' The three hour tour only got more heavy as the time passed and we walked through the cells. The picture below is of my left foot in East Germany, and my right foot in West Germany. The wall in West Germany was filled with grafitti and many people planted gardens directly to the side of it. Whereas in the East there was a hundred foot perimeter that was called the 'dead mans zone' where one would be shot immedeatly if trespassed. The wall was about a foot and a half thick.

Here is a picture of the Berlin Fernsehturm. It is a large tower that was the glory of East Germany during the time of their separation from West Germany. For many years it would be the tallest building in the world. Millions of East German dollars would be spent building this tower. At the same time many churches were demolished. A church was almost always the biggest building in a German village. A tour guide during my tour of Berlin last summer said that the government wanted to show that they had the most control, and that they had the most power. That is why they built this monument. To their surprise after the tower was done being laborously built, they saw that everytime when the sun began to shine..that a perfect cross would form on the reflecting plates. They tried many methods like differenet glass, or painting the glass over but everyday at around noon the large cross would reflect over the capital of Germany. What they thought would be their glory...turned to be God's. You can't see it in this picture because it wasn't sunny or noon, it would reflect on the ball part at the very top. Its made out of glass.

The second day in Berlin we went to see a musical in Potsdamer Platz. The play was about a girl who was seperated from her love because of the Wall. The play lasted about three hours, but was totally intriguing. Some of it was true, but some parts had to be fiction (like her brother floating over the wall with a balloon) so the audience would stay intrigued.




This picture doesn't really have a story, I asked a couple students from the 10th class to make some goofy faces with me. I am in the eleventh grade, but was invited to go to Berlin with the class beneath me. My school is really good with providing me with opportunities like that.
Here is our tour guide and some school mates in the newly built church monument. It was in honor of a church built in the early 1900's that was demolished in order to create room for the Wall.

Picture from the top of the German Parliment building. There always seems to be cranes and reconstruction going on in Berlin.

Germany has a very different style of art than the US. Almost all of the apartment complexes are painted with random pictures...like this astronaut.
And finally, we have a picture of donuts. I wondered when I was with my friends why they were beyond excited to go to Dunkin' Donuts. I would always stay outside when they went inside to order their drinks. I'm a Starbucks person, DD is not for coffee lovers but for milk and sugar lovers. If you want coffee, go to Starbucks. But this time I went inside, and LOOK! No wonder why. These donuts were insane. DD is an American owned company and we don't have these, but internationally they sell totally different products.

From left to right; Me, Chiara and Claudia. I have mentioned them in previous articles but rarely included a picture. Last week it was 65°F and sunny. I got a picture before we went roller-blading by the Elbe River that runs through our town. Just to clarify again real quick, Chiara comes from Neapel, Italy and Claudia comes from Slovakia. They are both exchange students with AFS, we are all staying until July 6th. I am so blessed to have exchange students nearby that I can share funny stories that only an exchange student would understand.
I am so blessed. Thank you for reading, and I hope your cup of coffee was a good one!
God Bless you today! Genevieve

4 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures you put up ! Really helps with the stories, it's funny as many presentations you do you still turn lobster red. :) I would love to hear more about your tour of Berlin and why it was so dramatic. I also thought the school motto was interesting, I wish American schools did that rather than no child left behind. And I also liked the astronaut on the apartment building, just like that giant spider and the man on the ladder. Must be a much nicer place to walk, especially of your destination is Dunkin donuts!!
    Love always, Shoshana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope u have written more than this blog to share with me when u come home. U know how i love details. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting how hard secular entities work against God and churches. God made the world a tough place for truth, like a tree that has to put its root deep. Truth ultimately wins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had some great experiences I met your mother she was very nice keep blogging their really good

    ReplyDelete

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...