Monday, October 19, 2015

Birthday Girl



Sunday was my birthday! I wanted to do a half marathon (actually a full marathon), but I’ve chosen to listen to the signals of what my body is saying. This had lead me to be for the most part vegan and to run up to fifteen miles for fun. Being able to run 13 miles just happened over the course of the last couple years. I started running one mile, then walking the other mile back. Just by doing this over and over (and over and over) again, I was eventually to go a little bit further and further (and further and further).

Even though I haven’t trained over the last month, I knew I could do the 13 mile run if I wished. However, I had to be true to myself and say “you have barely run the last month…do the 7 mile run”, so I did.

The running club from my university was there and I made some (very small) small talk. They asked if I wanted to do the warm up with them, I politely declined. Which turned out to be a great decision because they ended up doing sprints. Hahahah that is not how I wanted to make my first impression with twenty new people I would be seeing for the next year. Plus, I concluded I only had a set amount of Running Energy and I needed all of it to do the 7 miles.

So while they sprinted, I did some weird looking Tai Chi moves. Which was fine, because the guy next to me was doing some horrifying looking “stretches” , one where he was violently flopping his torso from side to side. Big thanks to Danny Dreyer and his workshop for showing me a different approach to running and fitness.

As the time approached 10:30 everyone started crowding the line. I hung out in the back next to the floppy guy. Unlike my first half marathon in Hartford, everyone counted down 10..9..8..7..6…5..4…3…2…1..Los! (Go!) rather than the gun shot. The countdown was very cute (and inexpensive I guess) because when was the last time you counted down (kindergarten)??

For the first 50 minutes I was the last person. I knew this, because the volunteer bicyclist who kept track were hot on my heels haha. Perhaps, I would have run even slower if they weren’t. My goal, for now, is not speed. I’ve been taught and have experienced speed is a byproduct of good form and relaxation.

With only two miles left I felt a huge release of some kind. I can only illustrate it like this. When you have coffee or sugar, you get energy. This energy doesn’t last the whole day, just a set period of time. Then there is energy you feel from really deep inside of you and it is constant and unwavering.  I ‘m not talking about some philosophical idea of “energy”, but literally energy (Unit:Joules).

Nevertheless, running fast just happened. And fast I ran. The last miles were up hills (my strength) and on those hills I was passing other runners left and right. Sometimes I would pass several at once, others I would see in the distance and slowly close the gap as I beebopped along. They gave a look of surprise as I sped past them singing When the Saints Go Marching In hahah.

I know I wrote a lot, so here is a picture of a turtle in my lake for a quick break.



I said I didn’t care about what time it took (and I didn’t) and I didn’t plan on passing people or getting competitive. However with 1000 meters left there was a lady in a purple sweatshirt very, very far away from me that I just had to pass. I really did. And I did. There was no huge finale or anyone to pat you on the back as you hopped over the finish line sensor (which recorded your time). Just the cool fact that you ran through the woods on a brisk Sunday morning.

As I was leaving to head home, from the list I saw that in the last 15 minutes I passed 41 people. Those might have been the fastest miles I’ve ever done (my lowest is 6:30).

While I was zipping along, a spiritual parallel become increasingly evident. It is no mistake that Paul compares the Christian life, not only as a walk but as a race.

I will explain in details later. I thought I could finish this (already lengthy post) after I got home from my first day of classes…but I think I’m too tired. When I got home I almost washed my hands with toothpaste.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...