Friday, January 8, 2016

Apples and Oranges

If I don’t watch carefully, I often catch myself thinking some things like, “if I was smart like him/dressed like her/sang like that/ran that fast/traveled that much/cooked that well…”.
        I do believe we should examine ourselves (Lamentations 3:40, 1 Corinthians 11:28, 1 Corinthians 13:5, Galatians 6:4), I do not believe that we should compare ourselves to other people. Here is why.
        If I did poorly on a test there are two scenarios according to this thinking, I could say “I’m not as smart as them, they did better than me” and wish I studied more or I could say “well, at least I got a better grade then these people” and be content with how much I did. But both are wrong because both can change with the weather. Neither of them make me evaluate if I did my own personal best. I believe we are to examine ourselves with ourselves and only in reference to God’s standards. Colossians 3:23 says “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;”
       It was actually quite liberating when I came upon that verse. The pressure to compete was lifted and I knew I only had to do my best for the Lord. This however, might also be big shoes to fill and plus, how do we know once we’ve done all that we can? But it is possible. Here is the a second quick story. The first time I studied not “hoping to be better than some and as good as others” I spent a lot more time going over notes. It was a math class with a tall reputation. I was shaking in my boots! I took Calculus 1 twice and got the same grade. (More on that later).
     But that semester was different; I approached my classes with the new mentality and never worked so hard before! I was never so satisfied with my grades before either. I ended the class with a B (I was a decimal point away from a B- (every point counts!)). Of course I’m proud of “the grade” but the fact that I  knew I did everything I could was the assurance I had no regrets and could sleep that night and move ahead with more difficult courses.
      I want that same satisfaction for my walk with God. "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him" (Hebrews 11:6).
      I've defined "diligence" always to what I've seen others do, that is why I have been so unsatisfied, liberation began when I honestly (without excuse) could say in both my academic and spiritual life...this is not my best and to ask God to help me make changes.
      My diligent might look different than your diligent, but we should both be able to answer with a smile and assurance that we were diligent. 

2 comments:

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...