Monday, January 11, 2016

Hold the Phone...Do What Now?

     Most of us know the story. God gives Abraham his long-awaited son, Isaac, only to later ask for the boy to be sacrificed. Huh? This idea has always left me with some questions, but this time around I saw it in a different perspective. 
     I imagined myself being Abraham. This was a time before the written commandments and God was still making Himself a name with His people. We Christians now perhaps have a much better understanding of who God is compared to how Abraham or Noah did. Abraham didn’t know at the time that God in fact doesn’t allow child sacrifices (something people having been doing for a long time to their gods), all he knew was that God in that moment required it of him.
     It made me think about the times where I feel God ask me to do things that I might not consider are in His character. For example, studying civil engineering would have never, repeat, never been in my plans. I was actually considering going to a Bible College. I thought, doesn’t God want me to study the Bible and learn Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic? Why would He ask me to study math and science? These are the two iconic topics for proving “God doesn’t exist” in our modern world….and I’m supposed to study them? It seemed backward and didn’t make sense. So how does this relate to Abraham?
     He didn’t know the full story and neither do I. I can only listen to the little tugs and beckoning of the Holy Ghost. The Bible says, ”thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path”(Psalm 119:105). This can be a challenge considering we humans often want every single detail so we know exactly where we’re going. 

2 comments:

  1. yes , so true, His ways are not our ways and to trust Him is all I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! Sometimes easier said than done, but he promises his burden to be easy and his yoke to be light :) thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Make a Comment here!

We are MOVIN'!

Hello Friends! Thank you for your support over the years, I'm happy to announce that I have a new  space and would be grateful if you ...